Sunday, March 1, 2015

Bricks and Stones May Break My Bones

You may have heard of the saying "Sticks and stones may break my bones but words can never hurt me."

Well here I'm substituting bricks for sticks.



I'm here to tell you that the phrase you've heard probably several dozen times is a lie. Words really do hurt.

Words can hurt just as much as a brick being thrown at your face with a force of 100 mph. They can hurt as much as breaking your femur bone. They hurt like hell.

But wait, I'm wrong. Words sometimes hurt more than physical pain. At least physical pain, for the most part, can by numbed by medicine or eventually goes away. Emotional pain can stay with you for so much longer.

So long. So very long. Very very long. Sometimes it feels like infinity.

And I hate it.

Next time you feel anger towards someone, Stop. Just stop. Don't say anything until you've calmed down. Please just stop. Stop. Stop the world around you and think.

 

You never know just how much power your words can have. You never know what your words might do to someone. What they might drive someone to do.

Just take a deep breath.



No comments:

Post a Comment