Sunday, March 15, 2015

Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening

This is one of my favorite poems and thought I'd share it

Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening 

BY: ROBERT FROST

Whose woods these are I think I know.   
His house is in the village though;   
He will not see me stopping here   
To watch his woods fill up with snow.   

My little horse must think it queer   
To stop without a farmhouse near   
Between the woods and frozen lake   
The darkest evening of the year.   

He gives his harness bells a shake   
To ask if there is some mistake.   
The only other sound’s the sweep   
Of easy wind and downy flake.   

The woods are lovely, dark and deep,   
But I have promises to keep,   
And miles to go before I sleep,   
And miles to go before I sleep.
 
This seemingly simple poem evolves from the traveler's momentary pause for rest into a contemplation of the allure of isolation and death. The woods and snowy evening portray the traveler's wishful sleep of death. However, the traveler reluctantly choose to continue the journey through the winter night in order to fulfill his many obligations. Perhaps this is the only thing keeping him from welcoming death. Whatever his responsibilities may be, they are important enough to cause him to fight the "darkest evening" of his life rather than accepting defeat.
 

I have miles to go before I sleep
 

 
This poem may seem dark and depressing, but I find hope
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment